- to express Capital City Volunteers’ beliefs and values with regards to the privacy of its clients and volunteers;
- to establish a basis for the development and implementation of privacy protection regulations and procedures;
- to provide direction to the Capital City Volunteer Board, staff and volunteers;
- to create a standard for evaluating the performance of the Capital City Volunteers Board, staff and volunteers.
- an information collection system, e.g. a secure Web site;
- an information storage system;
- an information request process; and
- a complaint and correction process.
- Identifying Purposes for Collection of Personal Information: We will identify the purposes for which personal information is collected at or before the time the information is collected.
Obtaining Consent for Collection, Use or Disclosure of Personal Information: We will make a reasonable effort to ensure that you understand how your information is used and disclosed by us. We will not collect, use or disclose your information without your consent, except as permitted or required by law.
- Limiting Collection of Personal Information: We will limit the amount and type of information we collect from you.
- We will only collect information from you as necessary for the purposes that we have identified. We will collect personal information by fair and lawful means.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention of Personal Information: We will only use or disclose your information for the purposes for which it was originally collected, unless you give us your consent to use or disclose it for another purpose. However, under certain exceptional circumstances, we may be permitted or required by law to disclose or use your information without your consent.
- Accuracy of Personal Information: We will strive to keep your information as accurate, complete, current and relevant as necessary. If you identify any errors in your information, please contact us and we will correct the errors.
- Security Safeguards: We will protect your information with safeguards that are appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
- Openness Concerning Policies and Practices: We are open about the policies and practices that we employ to manage your information, and will provide you with information about these policies and practices in a manner that is easy to understand.
- Access to Personal Information: Upon request, we will advise you what information we have about you, what we are using it for, and to whom it has been disclosed or transferred for processing.
- Challenging Compliance: We will act on any issues you may identify to us with respect to our compliance with this policy and/or our practices relating to the handling of your information.
Capital City Volunteers is committed to protecting your privacy and maintaining the confidentiality of your personal information. Any personal information provided to Capital City Volunteers is collected, used and disclosed in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act (applicable in the Province of British Columbia).
What is Personal Information? Personal information is recorded information that can identify an individual. Personal information includes information such as an individual’s name, address, birth date, e-mail address and phone number. When Capital City Volunteers collects personal information, it must identify:
- the purpose for collecting the personal information; and
- the title, business address and business telephone number of a Capital City Volunteer staff who can answer your questions about the collection of that information.
Why is personal information collected? Collecting personal information is essential to delivering quality service to Capital City Volunteers’ clients. This allows Capital City Volunteers to make appropriate matches between and reduce the risks to clients and volunteers. If Capital City Volunteers does not collect personal information, it is unable to provide effective services to clients, as well as support and manage its own volunteer staff.
How is personal information collected? Potential clients and volunteers are asked to provide their personal information in a number of ways. These include filling out short-form applications via the Internet, and being interviewed by phone or in person. Personal information is collected and stored in accordance with Capital City Volunteers’ Procedures for the Collection, Use and Disclosure of Personal Information Records.
What safeguards are in place? Personal information will only be collected, used and disclosed by authorized staff to fulfill the purpose for which it was originally collected or for a use consistent with that purpose unless you expressly consent otherwise.
Capital City Volunteers protects your personal information by taking reasonable precautions against such risks as unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification or disposal. Security measures have been integrated into the design, implementation and day-to-day operating practices as part of Capital City Volunteers’ continuing commitment to protect the personal information it holds.
When personal information is no longer required or out-of-date, it is kept for one year, after which it is deleted from Capital City Volunteers’ systems, and/or securely destroyed. Hard copy records of personal information are kept in Capital City Volunteers’ filing systems and or on a computer database.
Capital City Volunteers will not provide or share your personal information with third parties unless:
- you authorized us to share the information;
- sharing the information is necessary to render a service, accept the service of a volunteer; or
- we are required by law to do so.
How long is information retained? The length of retention will vary in relation to the nature of the service. If Capital City Volunteers uses your personal information to make a decision that directly affects you, it must retain that information for at least one year so that you have a reasonable opportunity to obtain access to it.
How can information be accessed and corrected after submission? You may request access to review, change or destroy any information that we hold about you. You may also complain about a breach of privacy by lodging your concern or complaint with us. For these purposes, please contact:
Executive Director Kaye Kennish
547 Michigan Street
Victoria BC V8V 1S5
Tel: (250) 388 7844
Fax: (250) 388 7856
If you are unsatisfied with how Capital City Volunteers addresses your concern or complaint about your personal information, you may contactOffice of the Information and Privacy Commissioner for British Columbia
PO Box 9038, Stn. Prov. Govt.
Victoria, B.C. V8W 9A4
Telephone: (250) 387-5629
Fax: (250) 387-1696
Changes to this Policy
547 Michigan St.
Victoria, BC V8V 1S5
250.388.7844 ext. 310 – phone
250.388.7856 – fax